Friday, October 5, 2012

Food for Friday

Healthy tastes bad? Not at all! 


Many people are driven away by the word "healthy" before they even give it a chance.  Have you ever had someone give you crap for eating healthy? When you do something right for yourself, there will always be others trying to bring you down just because you're happy (in any situation).  DON'T let them! Since when are greasy cheeseburgers and pepperoni cheese pizzas good for your body? Okay, I'm not saying to avoid these foods because they are highly irresistible and okay to eat now and then. I'm just saying it's not right to try and bring someone down for doing the right thing, we can all make our own choices and it's easier to support someone and be positive rather than negative.  

I like to eat as healthy as possible for as long as I can, then I can really enjoy one of my favorite foods that I know I shouldn't. 

To those who think healthy must taste bad if it's good for you, you're very wrong.. I have came up with a few things the last couple weeks in which many of you might actually enjoy :) 

First, you can make you're own butters for much cheaper and make it taste just the way you like! Since I am allergic to peanuts, I have been making my own sunbutter (sunflower seeds) -It's only about $3 to buy a package of unsalted, organic sunflower seeds.  Other ingredients I decided to add include honey and olive oil! All you need is a food processor.. I've heard you can do it in the blender as well but I haven't tried yet. 

3 Cups of sunflower seeds

After One minute in the Food processor 

After three minutes I added 1/3 cup of honey



After five minutes, I added 3 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil


The final product was finished in about 10 minutes in the food processor! 


Lastly was the taste test and it was clearly a success! :)

For storage, I put it in a container (jar preferably) and in the fridge! Lasts a few weeks.  
Next, we have a couple of breakfast ideas.  They each include 1/4 cup steel cut organic oats, 1/4 cup old fashion oats, 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk.  Great tasting, filling and you can easily add variations to it!  (I like to make it with almond milk so it gives the oats a vanilla flavor).



Oats with 1/2 scoop of my vanilla whey protein powder, 1 TBSP almond butter, 1 banana sliced :)
And my Tazo Chai tea latte! 

This is my oats with 2 heaping TBSP of pumpkin and 1 tsp of maple agave nectar!  (Pumpkin spice maple oats) Perfect for the fall!


This would be 1/2 cup brown rice that was cooked in gluten free chicken broth, 3/4 cup spinach leaves, 1/2 gluten free tortilla, 1/3 cup ground lean turkey, 2/3 cup mixture of peas, carrots and green beans and topped off with 2 TBSP of salsa! Yum! 

And my last recipe to include today is what I call Healthy almond butter chocolate chip gluten free protein bread bars.  I mixed some things up and this is what I came up with.. they are definitely worth a try and taste almost like brownies! Soo good I already need to make more :) 

-Here's the recipe: -3/4 cup brown rice flour
                             -1/4 cup ground flax meal
                             -3/4 teaspoon baking soda
                             -pinch of salt
                             -1 cup of almond butter
                             -1/3 cup brown sugar
                             -2 egg whites
                             -1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
                             -1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                             -1/4 cup bittersweet mini chocolate chips


In the dish before baking

One serving after baking! :)
***preheat oven to 350, coat 8" x 8" baking dish with cooking spray, combine liquid and solid ingredients separate then combine. Bake 10-15 minutes or until toothpick is clear! :)


So there's a start for a few healthy food ideas for you to try! Hope everyone has a great weekend and makes at least one healthy decision! I have a weekend full of work and time with friends (some friends I haven't seen since early this summer!!)


[[GO Grand View VIKINGS]]



Question to think about:: What holds you back from making healthy food options?

Challenge for the weekend:: Say hi or at least smile at everyone you pass by for one whole day.

Motivational quote:: Your life is a result of the choices you make... if you don't like your life, it is time to start making better choices.



XoXo





2 comments:

  1. Chelsea this is great! One thing that holds me back about making healthier food options is the price. I have found a lot of organic/healthy alternatives are higher and when your on a budget it makes it more difficult.

    Question:

    1. Could sunbutter be a substitute for peanut butter in recipes? Does it have the same consistency as peanut butter would?

    2. Do you use unsweetened almond milk or sweetened?

    Ashley <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, Thank you!
    And yes... I agree, the prices can be a little bit more but if you're smart with deciding what to get and finding the off brands of healthy products you can budget well! Eating healthy may lower health care costs in the long run as well :)

    Answer:

    1. Sunbutter as well as almond butter can be substitutes. I have been substituting either of those for peanut butter for the last year and it works perfect! They are almost the exact same consistency, maybe a bit thicker than peanut butter but it still works well.

    2. I have been using vanilla sweetened almond milk because that's what I drink.. but to make it healthier you could use unsweetened or even vanilla unsweetened (has a hint of vanilla still, without the added sugar).

    -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete